The Connacht-Ulster Alliance (CUA) is a strategic partnership formed by Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT), Letterkenny Institute of Technology (LYIT) and Institute of Technology, Sligo (IT Sligo), with the aim of achieving Technological University status.
In line with international practice the CUA librarians support free online open access (OA). The National Steering Committee on Open Access Policy’s National Principles for Open Access Policy Statement has set out clear best practice guidelines and recommendations for moving forward with OA in Ireland (Policy's 2012). The principles driving the OA policy statement are that the outputs from publicly-funded research should be publicly available to researchers and to potential users in education, business, charitable organisations, public sectors and to the general public. Accordingly, the CUA libraries have developed an institutional repository.
The CUAL institutional repository is an online, predominately OA repository of the research and scholarly output of the CUA Institutes including Campus Companies. The service is jointly administered by the CUA libraries.
CUAL is the first collaborative academic initiative by the CUA.
Aims of CUAL:
- To promote access to the research output of CUA institutes
- To encourage the use and exploitation of CUA institutes research for the benefit of the region and beyond
- To provide a platform for researchers at CUA institutes to publish and promote their work
- To allow CUA institutes to fulfil the OA mandate required by many funding agencies
- To include research, to an appropriate standard, by campus companies
Read the Memorandum of Understanding of the Connacht Ulster Alliance.
Read CUAL Institutional Repository policy.